Marriage Licenses

Marriage Information
You may apply for a Marriage License at any Town (or City) Clerk's Office in Massachusetts (however, the town or city that you apply is where your license will be kept on file and where you will return for certified (official) copies after you are married). The Marriage License is valid for 60 days after the date of application.
The Bride and Groom (or Party A and Party B) must appear together. Both parties must be 18 years of age or older. A birth certificate may be required to show proof of age. If either party is under 18, a court order from a probate or district court where the minor resides must be obtained before the marriage intentions can be filed.
The fee for a Marriage License in Lynnfield is $25.00. Fees vary from town to town.
Waiting Period
Massachusetts requires a three-day waiting period once intentions are filed. The day you apply does not count, but you may pick up the certificate (license) on the third day (e.g. if you file on Tuesday, you may pick the Certificate up on Friday). It is possible to obtain a waiver of the three-day waiting period.
After the Three-Day Waiting Period Has Passed
Prior to the ceremony, the marriage license will need to be picked up in person. The Bride, Groom, or a person designated by the couple may pick up the license. The individual who picks up the license must verify that all of the information on the license is correct. We do not mail marriage certificates prior to the ceremony. (Sorry, no exceptions).
** Please remember that you must pick up the license before your marriage ceremony; the person performing the marriage may not legally marry you without this important document. **
Obtaining a Waiver of the Waiting Period
If you are unable to wait the three days and need your license issued immediately, both parties must apply for their marriage license at the Town Clerk's Office, then they must apply for a waiver at a probate or district court. After a hearing, the court may issue a certificate allowing the marriage license to be issued (which must be brought back to the Town Clerk), who will then issue your marriage license. At that point, the marriage may then performed without delay.
Social Security Administration – in person or by mail
Area SSA offices:
140 Union Street, Lynn / 800-772-1213
10 Federal Street, Suite 406, Salem / 800-772-1213
367 Main Street, Haverhill / 866-964-4324
10 Causeway Street, Room 135, Boston / 800-772-1213
Before you can change your driver’s license, you must first make the change with Social Security Administration
MA Driver’s License – You can change your name via mail, or by appearing in person at your local MA RMV. For more information, click here.
Please check the appropriate website to verify what documents will be needed to make the required changes and applicable fees, if any.
Should you need additional certified copies of your marriage license, they can be obtained from the Town / City Clerk’s Office where you applied.